Directions for sweet chili sauce:
1/2 c rice wine vinegar
1/2 c sugar
2 tblsp hot clili paste (sambal)
1 tblsp minced garlic
1 tblsp cornstarch
2 dashes of fish sauce or to taste
1 tblsp cilantro, chopped fine
2 tblsp roasted peanuts, chopped (divided)
1 green onion sliced for garnish
1. Place vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan and simmer over med-heat until sugar devolves. Stir in chili paste and garlic.
2. In a separate bowl, stir 3 tablespoons cold water and cornstarch. Add to vinegar mixture and whisk until sauce thickens—about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
3. Stir in fish sauce, cilantro and 1 tablespoon peanuts—save the remaining peanuts to garnish—and set aside.
Directions for the tofu:
6 oz firm tofu, drained and cut into wedges
1 qt vegetable oil
1. Pre-heat oil in a large heavy pot over med-high heat. Use a candy thermometer to make sure the oil temperature is 375°F. Once oil is hot, carefully place tofu into pot and fry until golden, about 8 minutes.
2. Carefully remove the tofu from the oil and let it drain on paper towels. Serve warm with sweet chili sauce and sprinkle with peanuts and sliced onions.
—make sure to remove as much of the liquid from the tofu as you can.
—in a bowl or on a plate, place tofu on top of a few paper towels and with a few towels on top, gently press to remove moisture.
—replace paper towels and put a plate on top to squeeze out as much as you can, about 15 minutes should do it.