Entries in summer (22)
When summer gives us lemons… we call our friends at Little Miss Party, NYC-based party and event planners, to share 4 fun ways to make and serve lemonade all summer long!
Classic Lemonade Recipe:
1. Add 4 cups of fresh squeezed lemon juice and then fill the rest of the dispenser with ice cold water—leaving 2-3 inches from the top.
2. Add Sugar to taste.
3. Add ice and lemon slices before serving.
1. Acrylic outdoor glasses are the best for avoiding glass breakage.
2. Pretty paper straws will make everyone’s drink more festive.
3. A bright colored watering can makes for a cool looking vase for fresh flowers.
4. DIY Tip: paint a wood crate in an ombre pattern by mixing a solid color with white paint until you reach your desired shades. Use as a riser to prop your beverage dispenser on top of for easy serving.
1. Set out a few pre-poured glasses so guests can grab when they arrive.
2. We used the stainless steel snack bowl as a vase for peonies that we picked from the garden.
3. Set out a bunch of mint for guests to add to their drinks if they wish.
1. Use a planter as an ice bucket for chilling wine or sparkling water to top off your drinks with—before filling with ice, line the planter with a slightly smaller bowl, food safe plastic wrap or parchment paper—and don’t forget the ice tongs!
2. Use a watering can to fill with a bunch of mint for a fresh smell and unexpected look on your bar—again, line the inside of the can or drop in a small drinking glass.
3. The black cake stand is perfect for propping up the beakers to give height to the table.
1. We used the stainless steel snack bowls to fill with lemons for a bright pop of color on our bar.
2. A black cake stand props up the beverage dispenser for easy serving.
3. And a glass beaker doubles as a vase for fresh flowers from the garden.
Lauren… we spent almost every evening on the deck with family and friends listening to albums and deciding who had to get up to turn the album over—this is a true not-so-Hollywood story.
Anna… in June I had lots of wedding planning to do, in July I got married and honeymooned in Costa Rica—which of course meant lots of thank you notes in August—icing on the cake was exploring a new neighborhood with my new husband!
Ali… my husband and I spent our summer seeing the world through our 11-month old daughter’s eyes as she explores new things… and drinking lots of wine outside after she went to bed!!!
Emily… as a transplanted East Coaster, I made sure to cherish any and all ocean visits—Nantucket, the Outer Banks. Since we’re expecting in January, I’ll try hard not to sleep through our ‘babymoon’ in Belize this week!
Sandra… spent most Sundays with a dear friend hunting for bargain fashions—everywhere from Michigan Avenue to thrift shops in Wicker Park… a viciously hot summer meant very little gardening but lots of refreshing cocktails and no-bake dinners… then I was off to an even more sweltering place to spend precious time with my 88-year old parents.
Sara… chilled out on my new deck with good friends and good beer… went to California for the first time ever to visit a friend, had fun in Santa Monica and Venice Beach… will finally get to the family cabin in Michigan’s U.P. over the Labor Day Weekend.
Rina… sold our condo… moved in with the in-laws… moved into our new house… then spent a relaxing vacation at the beach in Michigan.
Jaime… spent my summer traveling, training for the marathon, and playing with our English Bulldog Georgie!
Sara… most weekends revolved around my kids’ softball and baseball games/tournaments followed by post-game celebrations with friends—win or lose!
Alicia… QT with family and friends out West was amazing! We started in Glacier National Park and worked our way to Jackson Hole—where we rode in a covered wagon, went fly fishing and snapped pics of the giant moose snacking on a tree in our backyard…for a city girl it was crazy good!
Brianna… weekend getaways filled the summer—several trips back home to Minneapolis, cabins, a few to California, and finishing with a trip to Knoxville. In between, time in the city was complete with good friends, eating good food and drinking good beer. Nothing can top that!
Kate… my husband and I worked on the curb appeal of our house—painted the garage, built a fence and window boxes, laid some sod—now we’re building a native plant garden that attracts indigenous butterflies and soon we’ll enjoy drinks by a new sunken fire pit!
Megan… most of the summer was spent on the deck with our dog, listening to music, watching movies late at night and drinking delicious home-brewed beer on our new havana sectional—not a plug, I seriously just bought it and love it! Sailing lessons will get squeezed into the last days of good weather and we can’t wait!
Lauren… my favorite part was one beautiful week on a houseboat in Kentucky with my family. We drank as many new craft beers as we could find and made up delicious burger recipes—gouda cheeseburgers with arugula were the best!
Ryan… we spent most weekends taking our daughter to the beach in Michigan. This was especially great because she’s learning to walk on the sand for the first time—it’s one of the most amazing things I have seen in my life so far. Could not have had a better summer.